These oils are made of shrubs, flowers, trees and roots, bushes and fruits. It contains over 100,000 natural organic compounds. They are extracted from plants to capture their scent, flavors, and many healing properties.
As part of alternative therapies, essential oils can be used to provide many health benefits. Many common health conditions that can be cured by the use of these essential oils are:
- Sinus infections
- Sleep disorders
- Sore muscles
Some most powerful and common essential oils include:
- Lavender essential oil is most commonly used around the world. Children have undergone tonsillectomy when inhaled lavender oil was soothed from pain post-surgery. It also reliefs migraines and it’s an effective analgesic and anti-inflammatory.
- Tea tree essential oil is used to fight bacteria’s causing acne. It also improves skin texture and reduces dark spots and acne scars remarkably.
- Chamomile essential oil is used to calm the mind when inhaled. It is also applied topically to treat eczema.
- Frankincense essential oil is used to avoid bad breath and mouth cavities. This essential oil is also used as an astringent and as a digestive aid.
Use essential oils in the following ways:
Always use a carrier oil to dilute your essential oils, otherwise, it can cause skin irritation and allergies.
Common carrier oils:
- Sweet kernel
- Sweet almond
In common practices, 10 drops of essential oil should be added to every tablespoon of carrier oil according to one good thumb rule.
Massage diluted essential oil directly onto your skin for maximum absorption. It can relieve muscle ache and alleviate pain.
Another common method of using essential oil is putting a few drops in a diffuser & inhaling steam in a closed room. This method can be used to relieve migraine headaches and respiratory problems.
Essential oils can also be used by putting a few drops in your hot water bath. Sitting in the bath can help absorb the benefits of essential oils directly through your skin.
In 2012, a study was conducted that proved the effectiveness of essential oil blend of cinnamon, lavender, clove & rose in sweet almond oil to cure pain & difficulty of menstruation.
Another study conducted in 2013, showed decreased depression in patients with terminal cancer. Patients used a blend of lavender, bergamot, and frankincense in sweet almond oil.
Do’s and don’ts:
- Always dilute essential oils before using
- Do a skin or patch test
- Avoid applying essential oils to open wounds and sensitive areas
- Never ingest any essential oil, it can be extremely fatal and life-threatening.
Potential side effects include:
- Skin irritation
- Allergic reaction
From alleviating insect bites to making your home smell fresh, essential oils are providing a wide range of benefits. While there is still a debate on proving efficacies of essential oils in different conditions, there are still a number of health benefits of essential oils worth exploring.